Unbelievable excitement ensues as two Seattleites prepare for a baby!

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Chris' Object of Automotive Desire - 1/19

When Subaru introduced its WRX, fundamentally a hot-rod, turbocharged, all-wheel drive version of its Impreza economy car, in the mid-1990s in every market except the U.S., it seemed like a travesty of justice. Here was a go everywhere, do anything car with the performance of a Corvette or a Ferrari, with the practicality and utility of a Subaru - all in a relatively subtle package that evoked the all-conquering World Rally Subaru of driver Colin McRae.

Never was the sting most painful as when Subaru introduced the Sti 22B variant to the European and Asian markets. Hyper-powerful, with enough speed and traction to run with all but the most exotic six-figure supercars, the 22B provided a nuclear weapon with the look and expense of a prison shiv.

Of course, Subaru later brought the WRX to America and even added the hyper-quick STi version, but as desirable as those cars (and they are - future COoADs) they are detuned and rather odder-looking than the 22B.

The Subaru WRX STi 22B - truly a pint-sized supercar, but never available here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Meirose said...

I told my wife a few years ago that since the first time I saw the WRX I wanted one. I didn't care if it had 3 gerbils and a half dead squirrel under the hood, I was sold on looks alone. When I found out they had some go fast goodies available, it further made me want one. Unfortunately my budget is more 79 Mustang in size at the moment (not that I'd be caught dead in one of those).

Big Chris

12:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home